Assistant Professor in the field of Mechanical Engineering
Dr Ashish Rajak is an Assistant professor in Manufacturing and Design at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIIT Jabalpur, India. He has received his PhD degree in High Strain Rate Metal Joining Technique from IIT Guwahati. His research area spans from materials science to manufacturing applications with a primary focus on numerical modelling and simulation on high strain rate metal forming and joining techniques. His research vision is to understand the material behaviour at high strain rate forming techniques. He works in the area of designing metal crimping, clinching, forming, and welding using the Electromagnetic and Vaporizing Foil Actuator System. He worked as a Post Doctorate Researcher for more than a year in the Impulse Manufacturing Laboratory, at Ohio State University, the USA after his PhD. In Impulse laboratory, he took on the challenging task of starting to develop formal shock-physics methods to look at the consolidation and behaviour of metallic powders and continued work on electromagnetic forming and the development of field shapers. He developed brand new techniques, instrumented them with photon Doppler Velocimetry and presented results to the sponsors. He also worked for the US Santiago Project and Honda – American Motors during his tenure.
High strain rate material processing, electromagnetic: forming, welding, crimping, cladding and hemming, powder compaction, explosive welding, vaporizing foil actuator
- Integrated PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Post Doctorate
The Ohio State University, USA
Department of Materials Science
- 18 March 2020-Till Date Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 05 August 2019-13 March 2020 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Areas or Specialisation / Project Activities / Publications / Books
High strain rate material processing, electromagnetic: forming
- List of Published SCI Papers:
 A. K. Rajak and S. D. Kore, “Application of electromagnetic forming in terminal crimping using different types of field shapers,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 9, 2018, pp. 4291–4297.
 A. K. Rajak and S. D. Kore, “Comparison of different types of coil in Electromagnetic terminal - wire crimping process?: Numerical and experimental analysis,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol. 34, 2018, pp. 329–338.
 A. K. Rajak and S. D. Kore, “Numerical simulation and experimental study on electromagnetic crimping of aluminium terminal to copper wire strands,” Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 163, 2018, pp. 744–753.
 A. K. Rajak, R. Kumar, H. Basumatary, and S. D. Kore, “Numerical and Experimental Study on Effect of Different Types of Field-Shaper on Electromagnetic Terminal-Wire Crimping Process,” International Journal Of Precision Engineering And Manufacturing, vol. 19, no. 3, 2018, pp. 453-459.
 A. K. Rajak and S. D. Kore, “Experimental investigation of aluminium–copper wire crimping with electromagnetic process: Its advantages over conventional process,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol. 26, 2017, pp. 57-66.
 A. K. Rajak and S. D. Kore, “Designing of a Field Shaper for an Electromagnetic Crimping Process,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, vol. 33, no. 11, 2019, pp. 5407–5413.
List of International Conferences:
1. A. K. Rajak and Sachin D. Kore, “Effect of process parameters on Electromagnetic Hemming of AA 1050 alloy”, IUPAP Conference on Computational Physics, IIT Guwahati, Assam, 2015.
2. A. K. Rajak, Ikshit Gupta and Sachin D. Kore, “Finite Element Analysis of Electromagnetic Terminal-wire crimping Using Different Types of Actuator at Constant Length”, International Conference on Evolution in Manufacturing: Technologies and Business Strategies for Global Competitiveness, 2016, BITS Ranchi, Jharkhand, Nov 12-13. Vol. ISBN: 978-93-86256-11-9, 2016, pp 345-350.
3. A. K. Rajak and Sachin D. Kore, “FEM Study of Electromagnetic Terminal-wire crimping Process”, International Conference on Advances in Materials and Manufacturing, 2016, DRDO and Osmania University, Telangana, Dec 8-10. Vol. ISBN: 978-93-86256-19-5, 2016, pp 63-68.
4. A. K. Rajak and Sachin D. Kore, “Electromagnetic Hemming of Aluminum Sheets using FEM”, International Conference on Materials, Manufacturing and Design Engineering, 2016, BADU, Lonere, Maharashtra, Dec 20-21. Published in Atlantis Press, vol .137, 2016, pp 77-82.
5. A. K. Rajak and Sachin D. Kore, “Effect of Eccentric Field-shaper on Electromagnetic Crimping of Terminal Wire Interconnections”, International Conference on High Speed Forming, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2018.
6. A. K. Rajak, Ramesh K and Sachin D. Kore, “Numerical and Experimental Study of Electromagnetic Crimping”, International Conference on High Speed Forming, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2018.
1. Best research paper award on FEM work by DRDO, ICAMM 2016 Conference, Hyderabad, 2016 (Defence Research India)
2. Best Poster at Research Conclave, IIT Guwahati, 2018
1. Multi-slot Fieldshaper Design for EM Crimping; Reference No: 331351-001 (Indian Patent Office)
Feel free to contact