Assistant Professor in the field of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Nanda received his Ph. D in Materials Science and Engineering, majoring in Biomaterials from international graduate school of prestigious National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan (Ranked 12th world wide among "The Top 25 Global Innovators: Government" by most trusted Clarivate Analytics, Thomson Reuter based on several of its research platforms: InCites, Web of Science, Derwent Innovations Index, Derwent World Patent Index, and Patent Citation Index). He earned his Ph. D under the mentorship of Prof. Guoping Chen, current Associate Editor of Journal of Materials Chemistry B from prestigious Royal Society of Chemistry, UK. He holds the background of B-Tech in Biotechnology (BPUT, Odisha: 2004-2008) and M-Tech in Nanotechnology (IIT Roorkee: 2008-2010). He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Prof. Enrico Traversa's research team at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Oct 2014- Jan 2016) and a Research Fellow in Prof. Terry W J Steele's research team at Nanyang Technological University Singapore (Feb 2016-Sept 2017). From Oct 2017, he is associated as an Assistant Professor at Discipline of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM), Jabalpur. He was also a Visiting Scholar (summer 2018) under "Belt and Road" Visiting Program in College of Materials Science and Engineering, Beijing University of Chemical Technology (BUCT), China and work in adjunct with same University from June 2018 onward. His is also the international reviewer and coordinator for the BUCT summer Camp on Science and Technology Innovation to be held at Beijing in summer 2019. Apart from BUCT, he has also received the new appointment as a senior visiting scholar at State Key Laboratory of Molecular Engineering of Polymers, Fudan University and will be visiting in summer 2019. His research projects on Hybrid Biomaterials has received international recognition and has attracted the grant of 30000 RMB for his upcoming summer visit to Fudan University. He provides the thesis guidance to both domestic and international students. His major research interests include design and development of biomaterials and tissue bioadhesives for regenerative therapies, tissue sealing, and dynamic drug release applications. He is also interested in nanomedicine for angiogenesis and cancer, adhesive based hydrogel coatings for medical implants and devices, biomechanics of scaffolds and implants. He is honored with many scholastic awards and achievements and published the research publications in very specific peer reviewed international journals in his field of interest and recently have been invited for national newspaper highlights for his ground breaking work on synthesis and design of bio-friendly metal oxide nanomaterials for array of medical applications. He has attended many international conferences as a speaker as well as participant. He is active and interested in making national and international cooperation with well-established labs and Universities in India and abroad. He is also working as an editorial board and review member of few International Journals. Apart from his research interest, he is also interested in education of bright Indian children from disadvantaged background. From Jan 2018, He has started building a multidisciplinary research team of Biomaterials, Biomechanics and Bioadhesives (named as 3B) at IIITDM. 3B research team@IIITDM currently runs closely with generous support from permanent research partners from Beijing University of Chemical Technology (Prof. Young Liu), National University of Singapore (Prof. Seeram Ramakrishna), CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (Dr. Chittaranjan Patra) and CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute (Dr. Subhadeep Bodhak). The interdisciplinary research team welcomes highly motivated and passionate candidates/researchers with a strong academic background and relevant experiences in related field (theoretical and experimental) to join and enjoy the applied medical research. Interested applicants may contact Professor Himansu S. Nanda with CV for the possibility of working in his research team.
Engineered biomaterials for regenerative therapies, Interface tissue mechanics for medical device design, Bioadhesive hydrogel coatings for medical implants and devices, Tissue adhesives for dynamic drug release, Drug delivery and Nanomedicine.
- Ph.D (Materials Science and Engineering: Biomaterials)
National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba, Japan
Biomaterials, scaffolds, drug delivery, stem cells, regenerative medicine: Doctoral thesis mentor: Professor Guoping Chen (Associate Editor-Journal of Materials Chemistry B-Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing)
- M-Tech (Nano-Technology: Nanomedicine)
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
Drug delivery, nanofibers, scaffold based drug release: Master thesis mentor: Professor R Jayaganthan- Former professor, MMED, IIT Roorkee, Uttrakahand, India (Now Professor, Department of Engineering Design, IIT Madras)
- B-Tech (Biotechnology: Bio-process Engineering)
Biju Patnaiak University of Technology (BPUT), Odisha, India
Biochemical Engineering, Enzyme production engineering: Thesis mentor: Assistant Professor P V S Yugandhar
- Feb 2016-Sept 2017 Research Fellow (RF)
Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore; Reseach area: soft tissue bioadhesives for tissue fixation and dynamic drug (local anasthetics) delivery; Mentor: Professor Terry W J Steele
- Oct 2014-Jan 2016 Post Doctoral Fellow (PDF)
Materials Science and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia; Research area: Metal oxide nanoparticles as nanomedicine for angiogenesis and regenerative medicine; Mentor: Professor Enrico Traversa
- Feb 2008-Jul 2008 Junior Research Fellow (JRF)
Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai; Research area: Protein expression, purification and structure prediction; Mentor: Professor Krishanu Ray
- Jan 2014-Till Technical consultant, New Vison and Medical Photon Inc. Taiwan
1. Laser based cross linking of polymers for medical applications. 2. UV Lasers for dental and opthalmic applications
Areas or Specialisation / Project Activities / Publications / Books
Biomaterials, Bioadhesives, Biomechanics
- Manufacturing of Custom Made 3D printed Scaffolds for Hard Tissue Regeneration.
CAD/CAM models are produced based on computed tomography (CT) scans/images of a patient-specific bone and dental defects are used to develop custom-made bone and periodontal graft substitute. (This project is in the category of hot research topic focused towards the IIITDM institute vision)
- Biomechanical Modelling of Implant-Tissue Interface for regenerative medicine
The biomechanical properties of tissue to implant interface are the key determinants for implant stability and integration. The objective of this study was to investigate the influence of the different implant-tissue interface conditions on the biomechanics of a newly designed implant and its surrounding tissue with the use of finite element analysis (FEA).
- Functionalized nanomaterials for targetted drug delivery.
The objective of the study is to design and develop novel functionalized biocompatible nanostructures for functionalization of single or multiple drug candidates (anti-cancerous chemotherapeutic, angiogenic drugs) for targeted cellular delivery. The broad spectrum application includes the cancer treatment via selective destruction of cancer cells, therapeutic angiogenesis via enhancement of pro-angiogenic efficacy and so on.
- Porous scaffolds for tissue regeneration and controlled drug delivery
The research aims to prepare few functional porous scaffolds from a set of biodegradable polymers (Gelatin, Collagen, PLGA, PLLA) and subsequently use them as a platform for controlled therapeutic delivery for effective tissue regeneration. The broad spectrum application includes regeneration of a functional skin, cartilage, bone and so on.
- Submitted Proposal-1 : Therapeutic Impact of nanomaterials mediated insulin delivery in Diabetic myopathy
Funding Agency: The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Reference Number: 503771 Co-Principal Investigator
(* Corresponding author and ± these authors have equal contribution to the manuscript)
1. Ivan Djordjevic, Oleksandr Prokholenko, Chaw Su Yin, Gao Feng, Himansu Sekhar Nanda, Ong Chee Bing and Terry W. J. Steele*. “Diazirine-grafted polycaprolactone triol: UV activated bioadhesive polymer”. (manuscript on progress)
2. Manisha Singh, Himansu Sekhar Nanda, Richard O’Rorke, Ramille N. Shah and Terry W. J. Steele*. “Carbene- based Tuneable on- demand Bioadhesives for Fixation of Implantable Biomaterials”. (manuscript submitted to Advanced Healthcare Materials, impact factor 5.8)
3. Ankur Harish Shah, Himansu Sekhar Nanda, Oleksandr Prokholenko and Terry W. J. Steele*. “On-demand Structure-Activation Relationships of Dendrimer/Polyethylene glycol Blended Tissue Bioadhesives”. (manuscript submitted to Materials Scinece and Engineering C, Impact factor 5.08)
4. Nanda, H. S., A. H. Shah, G. Wicaksono, O. Pokholenko, F. Gao, I. Djordjevic, and T. W. J. Steele. "Non-thrombogenic hydrogel coatings with carbene-crosslinking bioadhesives." Biomacromolecules (2018).
5. Nethi, Susheel Kumar, Himansu Sekhar Nanda*, Terry WJ Steele, and Chitta Ranjan Patra*. "Functionalized nanoceria exhibit improved angiogenic properties." Journal of Materials Chemistry B 5, no. 47 (2017): 9371-9383.
6. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Manisha Singh, and Terry WJ Steele. "Thrombogenic Responses from Electrocured Tissue Adhesives." ECS Transactions 77, no. 11 (2017): 547-555.
7. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar. "Surface modification of promising cerium oxide nanoparticles for nanomedicine applications." RSC Advances 6, no. 113 (2016): 111889-111894.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1039/C6RA23046F
8. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar. "Preparation and Biocompatible Surface Modification of Redox Altered Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Promising for Nanobiology and Medicine." Bioengineering 3, no. 4 (2016): 28.
9. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Ionic salt induced morphology and drug release control of insulin incorporated biodegradable PLGA microsphere." Adv Mater Lett 7 (2016): 866-871.
10. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Tomoko Nakamoto, Shangwu Chen, Rong Cai, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Collagen microgel-assisted dexamethasone release from PLLA-collagen hybrid scaffolds of controlled pore structure for osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells." Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition 25, no. 13 (2014): 1374-1386.
11. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Naoki Kawazoe, Qin Zhang, Shangwu Chen, and Guoping Chen. "Preparation of collagen porous scaffolds with controlled and sustained release of bioactive insulin." Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers 29, no. 2 (2014): 95-109.
12. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Shangwu Chen, Qin Zhang, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Collagen scaffolds with controlled insulin release and controlled pore structure for cartilage tissue engineering." BioMed research international 2014 (2014).
13. Sekhar Nanda, Himansu, and Narayan Chandra Mishra. "“Amphotericin B” Loaded Natural Biodegradable Nanofibers as a Potential Drug Delivery System against Leishmaniasis." Current Nanoscience 7, no. 6 (2011): 943-949.
Feel free to contact