Assistant Professor in the field of Mechanical Engineering
I was born in 1985, in a beautiful village named Barada situated in Jajpur district of Odisha (world geographical location: 20.5894°N, near major Buddhist complex Lalitgiri comprising of major stupas, 'esoteric' Buddha images, and monasteries (viharas) and a part of diamond triangle). I completed my earlier part of education (up to 10th standard) at my village School Nigamananda Vidyapitha till 2000. Eventually, I was interested in higher level research after a set of failures over my ambition to become a medical doctor. In order to keep me in-line and abreast with the latest medical technologies and with further goal to contribute to medical science, I developed interest in engineering education that could provide me the knowledge and experience on advanced medical technologies. After intermediate education (+2 Science) from Maharishi College of Natural Law, Bhubaneswar, I joined (2004) as a B-Tech student in Biotechnology and graduated (2008) from Biju Patnaiak university of Technology Odisha. In final year of B-Tech, I was offered to serve as an ad-hoc Junior Research Fellow at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai and was involving in protein expression and purification from cloned DNA for few months. Somehow, I took a diversion from my interest (in doing pure biological science job) and decided to move to an applied field where I could be able to meet the people from cross disciplines to explore my interest. I joined at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee for master program in Nanotechnology in 2008 and eventually graduated with a M-Tech degree in 2010. Soon after the graduation, I got the opportunity to visit prestigious National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan with an international travel grant to present my post graduate research before the scientific jury members of NIMS international graduate school. Eventually, I got selected among few candidates to get admission in doctoral program in Materials Science and Engineering with internationally competitive NIMS graduate research assistantship (NIMS GRA, AY 2011). During my doctoral career, I was offered the chance to work with Professor Guoping Chen (Associate Editor of Journal of Materials Chemistry B: Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing) as my doctoral mentor. Under Professor Chen’s guidance, I earned the doctorate in Materials Sciences and Engineering majoring in Biomaterials from University of Tsukuba, while working at NIMS. My doctoral thesis was on development of controlled drug releasing porous scaffolds applicable for various tissue regeneration studies such as skin, cartilage and bone. I have earned the expertise in design of latest tissue scaffolding technology from Professor Chen and his co-workers using ice particulates as porogen and also integrating other functional features in a single materials platform. Soon after the doctoral studies, I moved to Department of Materials Science and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia as a post-doctoral fellow and worked (Oct 2014-Jan 2016) on synthesis and functionalization aspects of nanomaterials for medical applications (development of aqueous dispersible cerium oxide nanoparticles for nanomedical application such as scaffold integration for nanomedicine screening, angiogenesis and so on). In Feb 2016, I joined as a Research Fellow at School of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore and was closely working (till Sept 2017) with the mentorship of Professor Terry W. J. Steele at Steele’s Lab sitting at NTU. From Oct 2017, I started working as an assistant professor in department of mechanical engineering, Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing (IIITDM), Jabalpur- an institute of national importance, Government of India. I am honored with many scholastic awards and achievements and published the research publications in very specific peer reviewed international journals in the field of my research interest and recently have been invited for national newspaper highlights for our ground breaking works on synthesis and design of bio-friendly metal oxide nanomaterials for array of medical applications. I have attended many international conferences as a speaker as well as participant. I am also working as an editorial board member in several International Journals; Journal of Nanotechnology and Materials Science, SciFed Nanotech Research Letters, SciFed Drug delivery research Journal and Journal of nanoscience, nanomedicine and nanobiology are among the few in list. My major research interests include engineered biomaterials, nanomedicine, blood compatible soft tissue bioadhesives, drug delivery vehicles and Medical devices for urgent healthcare needs. Apart from the research, I am also interested in education of bright Indian children from disadvantaged background.
Engineered biomaterials for regenerative therapies, interfacial tissue mechanics for medical device design, soft tissue bioadhesives for dynamic drug release, non-thrombogenic hydrogel coatings for medical implants and devices, novel healthcare material manufacturing technologies for commercialization
- Ph.D (Materials Science and Engineering: Biomaterials)
National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba, Japan
Biomaterials, scaffolds, drug delivery, stem cells, regenerative medicine
- M-Tech (Nano-Technology: Nanomedicine)
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
- B-Tech (Biotechnology: Bio-process Engineering)
Biju Patnaiak University of Technology (BPUT), Odisha, India
- Feb 2016-Sept 2017 Research Fellow (RF)
School of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- Oct 2014-Jan 2016 Post Doctoral Fellow (PDF)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Feb 2008-Jul 2008 Junior Research Fellow (JRF)
Department of Biological Sciences (DBS), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
Areas or Specialisation / Project Activities / Publications / Books
Biomaterials, Bioadhesives, Biomechanics
(* Corresponding author and ± these authors have equal contribution to the manuscript)
1. Ivan Djordjevic, Oleksandr Prokholenko, Chaw Su Yin, Gao Feng, Himansu Sekhar Nanda, Ong Chee Bing and Terry W. J. Steele*. “Diazirine-grafted polycaprolactone triol: UV activated bioadhesive polymer”. (manuscript on progress)
2. Manisha Singh±, Himansu Sekhar Nanda±, Richard O’Rorke, Ramille N. Shah and Terry W. J. Steele*. “Carbene- based Tuneable on- demand Bioadhesives for Fixation of Implantable Biomaterials”. (manuscript on progress)
3. Ankur Harish Shah, Himansu Sekhar Nanda, Oleksandr Prokholenko and Terry W. J. Steele*. “On-demand Structure Activation Relationships of Dendrimer Polyethylene glycol based Bioadhesives”. (manuscript on progress)
4. Himansu Sekhar Nanda, GAO Feng, Oleksandr Prokholenko, Ivan Djordjevic and Terry W. J. Steele*. “Non-thrombogenic hydrogel coatings with carbene-crosslinking bioadhesives”. (submitted@ACS -Biomacromolecules)
5. Susheel Kumar Nethi, Himansu Sekhar Nanda*, Terry W. J. Steele and Chittaranjan Patra*. “Functionalized nanoceria exhibit improved angiogenic properties”. (Accepted to Journal of Material Chemistry B, 2017)
6. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Manisha Singh, and Terry WJ Steele. "Thrombogenic Responses from Electrocured Tissue Adhesives." ECS Transactions 77, no. 11 (2017): 547-555.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org 10.1149/07711.0547ecst
7. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar. "Surface modification of promising cerium oxide nanoparticles for nanomedicine applications." RSC Advances 6, no. 113 (2016): 111889-111894.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1039/C6RA23046F
8. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar. "Preparation and Biocompatible Surface Modification of Redox Altered Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Promising for Nanobiology and Medicine." Bioengineering 3, no. 4 (2016): 28.
9. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Ionic salt induced morphology and drug release control of insulin incorporated biodegradable PLGA microsphere." Adv Mater Lett 7 (2016): 866-871.
10. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Tomoko Nakamoto, Shangwu Chen, Rong Cai, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Collagen microgel-assisted dexamethasone release from PLLA-collagen hybrid scaffolds of controlled pore structure for osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells." Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition 25, no. 13 (2014): 1374-1386.
11. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Naoki Kawazoe, Qin Zhang, Shangwu Chen, and Guoping Chen. "Preparation of collagen porous scaffolds with controlled and sustained release of bioactive insulin." Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers 29, no. 2 (2014): 95-109.
12. Nanda, Himansu Sekhar, Shangwu Chen, Qin Zhang, Naoki Kawazoe, and Guoping Chen. "Collagen scaffolds with controlled insulin release and controlled pore structure for cartilage tissue engineering." BioMed research international 2014 (2014).
13. Sekhar Nanda, Himansu, and Narayan Chandra Mishra. "“Amphotericin B” Loaded Natural Biodegradable Nanofibers as a Potential Drug Delivery System against Leishmaniasis." Current Nanoscience 7, no. 6 (2011): 943-949.
Feel free to contact